I love the summer time. I really do.
Outdoor music festivals, street fairs, sunbathing in the park, trips to the beach, rooftop parties.
There’s nothing quite like summer in NYC.
I don’t know about you but my productivity tends to go way down in the summer. My soul longs to be outdoors during this time of year breathing in fresh air and soaking up the sun.
The summer is notorious for slowing us down especially at work. It’s a great time to take advantage of the slow season and refuel our senses. To clear away the busy work and focus on tasks that will build us up and sharpen our skills.
Over here we’re doing our best to take advantage of the summer months, stay sharp, and do what we love to do in empowering women entrepreneurs.
Here are 10 things you can do to refuel this summer:
1. Take a Toastmaster Class. Perfect your public speaking skills. Whether you speak publicly for work or not, improving this skill is a game changer for confidence, presentations, and enhancing brand visibility. Check your local Toastmaster chapter to attend a meeting.
2. Spruce up on Your LinkedIn profile. Are your roles up to date? Does your summary need refreshing? Is your photo outdated? Your LinkedIn is your most valuable asset as an entrepreneur; it leads to potential clients and strong partnerships. Make sure it leaves a positive, professional impression.
3. Listen To A Business Empowerment Podcast. My favorite podcast at the moment is Being Boss. It is an amazing hub of resources and information from top experts in business with content updated regularly.
4. Purge. Out with the old, in with the new. Carve out time to clean out your inbox, organize client files, file away business cards, clear off your desk of old coffee mugs and random papers. Get rid of anything you no longer need.
5. Get new headshots. If your current shot is more than five years old, time for fresh new photos.
6. Start a Passion Project. Passion projects have a funny way of leading to new business ideas. What is a new fun creative idea you want to try for your business that won’t take a lot of time? New blog series, 7-day challenge, new program you want to test out, etc. Tap into your passions and (re)create from this place.
7. Revisit your goals. You know those goals you wrote down on January 1? Time to check in on them. Evaluate your progress, re-examine and re-align to stay on track.
8. Summer Reading. Grab your favorite business book you’ve been meaning to read, go to the park and read it under a tree. Some of my favorite books I would recommend are The War of Art by Steven Pressfield, Miracles at Work by Emily Bennington, and Start With Why by Simon Sinek.
9. Volunteer. I recently gave a talk to Dress for Success women’s group on interviewing and the most amazing experience. One of the most amazing ways of giving back is volunteering your time to those who need what you do the most. Research your favorite organization and reach out to them about doing volunteer work.
10. Remember Your Joy. Always, always, always remember to have fun. As entrepreneurs sometimes the work is consuming and we forget the most important ingredient is to always have fun. Take a painting class, go bike riding, or in my case play a sport. Making time for joy clears your mind and energizes you so that when you return to business you are focused and replenished.
Do you have any other ways that you love to refuel in the summer? Share with us in the comments below!