"There is a special place in hell for women who do not help other women." ~ Madeleine Albright
We work to change this idea of competition that pits women against each other. There is no need for competition in business or in the workplace. We are far stronger working together than apart. Women are natural collaborators and we do better when we are building each other up rather than ripping each other down.
Here are a list of ways we can help each other as women in business. Feel free to add your own!
- Send free resources (books, articles, videos, programs, events) that you come across to someone in your circle that would benefit from the material.
- Be a connector. Scan your network of contacts and facilitate an introduction between two people who could help each other or benefit from knowing one another.
- Refer. Give out referrals for your favorite women in business. Hand it out like candy!
- Share it out! When someone in your circle starts something new, gets featured, or that you know could benefit from more exposure or awareness, share their news! You can do this by posting, re-posting, or forwarding with a link back to their work.
- Do business with other women owned businesses. This year while doing my taxes, I intentionally sought out a woman-owned tax firm. Look for ways you can support other women in business.
- Listen. Sometimes we just need to be heard, not for someone to fix things. Offer your full presence and a listening ear
- Acknowledge. Pick 5 random women from your circle and just send an email or better yet pick up the phone with a kind, encouraging or inspiring word.
- Invest. Women face more challenges in securing funding than our male counterparts. Consider ways to put your uninvested assets to use by investing in women owned business ventures
- Give back. All of our progress will be for nothing if we do not empower the next generation of women leaders. Volunteer your time, be a mentor, teach young girls, or delegate a portion of your income to social causes you care about.