90% Practice, 10% Experimentation

Photo shoots are all about having fun, right?  Gone are the days where photographers sit their clients on a stool with a background painted in white clouds and tell you to “say cheese”. Today’s photo shoots are about capturing lifestyle, celebrating personality, and freely expressing one’s creativity.  But part of what comes with creativity is experimentation; trying something completely new to expand your knowledge and grow as an artist. 

Typically, in photography, if we find a method that works whether it be the type of poses we use, locations we shoot, or lighting methods, chances are we stick to it because it’s a sure thing.  The problem with that is that we become stagnant and do not expand in our creativityI found this very thing happening to me in my photography.  Although I am usually clear on using a particular technique to produce the image I am going for, I like to think that my work is constantly evolving.  And to evolve, I must experiment with new techniques and conceive new out-of-the box visions to expand my body of work.  No matter how much it scares me. 

When we continue to do the same routine, things suddenly start to become boring, mundane, and no longer fun.  As soon as that feeling comes along, we know it’s time for a change.  That nasty word “change” scares us and keeps us locked in fear and comfortable with the status quo.

I for one am tired with the status quo so for now on, my photography will be 90% practice and 10% experimentation.  90% of the time I will continue to practice my techniques and methods for producing a great image and the other 10% will be used to experiment.  The 10% will be my time to go crazy and throw photography rules out of the window to create something new. 

Take this image of Fatima & Rizwan during their recent engagement shoot.  This is the first time I’ve ever produced a photograph like this.  The area was barely lit so it was time for some “off camera flash” as opposed to the natural light I use 100% of the time.  I sat them down in these two chairs, posed them and said “don’t smile”.  Don’t smile?!! I hardly ever take photos of an engaged couple when they’re not smiling!  But it was time to experiment.  I was pleased with the results and so were they!

And then this photo taken of Samontha.  The sun was shining brightly but I still used flash as an extra light source.  Totally unheard of in my world of photography.  But it was time to experiment.  

This is my goal; to use the 90/10 ratio in all of my photography.  I invite you to make room for a little experimentation in art and in life to grow and break out of the box.  I believe you can and I want to hear all about it when you do. Happy shooting!

See Beauty…